About Me

My photo
The contents of my head, plus photo´s and anything else I wish to share with the world. Please remember to acknowledge me if you use my stuff. It may be about you, it may not, you´ll never know! Obviously this blog represents my views and not any company or organisation I may be working for at the time of writing!

Thursday, September 30, 2010

Grandad

His body is wasting away
his muscles have gone to pot
and he knows
he knows his time is short
and he wants it to come
fast, but not really
he wants to be with her
the love of his life
but for now
he's just waiting
putting up with the pain
of getting old
the hearing is fading
the teeth are all gone
but the mind is sharp
like and eighteen year old - strong
he still has the jokes
the smile and the enthusiasm
has a thirst for knowledge
about the world
but at ninety-five, is not really of it
doesn't understand
new fangled ways
but still has an amazing love of nature
a healthy appetite
the mind is willing but the body is not able
to see as much of the outside world
as he'd like
but he still sits, waiting
taking it all in
enjoying his family visiting
but glad for the peace when they've gone
watching all sorts of programmes
listening to an old song and singing along
and the love is still there
shown all the time, in words and actions
from him and to him
it ebbs and flows
always
I could envy a life so long
the many things he's seen
the wars he's won
and when I ask I know
that he really wants to go
and can't understand
his bodily functions failing him
they weren't made to last that long
and he's so strong
and I miss him when I'm gone
the beautiful grandfather
I've grown up around
and I'll miss him even more
when he's gone
but I'll know
he's happy with her.

No comments:

Post a Comment